Thursday, May 24, 2012

Man, oh man.  How long has it been since I last posted a blog entry?  Been "meaning" to dust this puppy off for some time now.  Moving forward...this blog is devoted to running and triathlon training.  My own for starters.  I've been a runner since 2006, a triathlete since 2011.  And yes, if anyone was wondering, I did officially and successfully transition from Asics to Newtons.  Best. decision. ever.  But more on that later.  The latest excitement in my life is the opportunity to work for Coaches Jeff and Diane at PRSFit.  Jeff and Diane are have been successfully coaching runners and triathletes around the US (and the world!) for many years.  They have built up PRSFit into a nationally recognized business...this is a great group of coaches and a amazing group of athletes.  I have been coached by PRSFit for a year now, with tremendous success.  I have a lot of good things to say about heart rate training.  And believe me, I was a runner who was all about distance.  Distance, distance, garmin, distance.  Not too concerned about perceived exertion, heart rate, didn't even know what a "zone" was.  My brain and body gave up distance training in a pretty stubborn way.  Here's what I think after a year, in a nutshell.  1) Heart rate training can benefit runners in ways they never imagined.  Let me put it this way...HR training is your secret weapon!  I know, I know.  You're not a triathlete.  That's okay!  Trust me on this, if you are open to it, you as a runner can learn a lot of triathlon.  2) Swimming and cycling are not only fun (I promise...), but will make your body and mind stronger, more well rounded, and well, you get the idea.  Better running!  Not to mention...and this is another post altogether...if you get injured...here are two sports you can do to 1) save your sanity and 2) keep cardiovascularly fit during recovery.  Next up...some of my personal experiences with HR training, natural running, life, balance, training and the big goal:  PRs (while having fun doing it!).

No comments: